Danny Treacy

Danny Treacy is a photographer who specialises in using (literally) found materials to make completely different things. His two biggest projects have been ‘Them’, where he used recovered clothes collected from “lonely places”, modelled them on himself and created a set of rather scary photos. His other major project is called ‘Those’ where he used found materials to create creatures that look like they are from the deep sea.

I especially like his ‘Those’ collection as I plan to try and create creatures that look like they are from the deep sea too. He uses a black background in all of them, which I also plan to do, and the way he has lit the objects is perfect for a sea theme.

Here are a selection of my favourite photos from ‘Those’:

those27 those45 those47 those50

The way that some of them look as though they have legs and heads is very effective. I think I plan to use objects with different textures to these – more of a wet/rubbery texture – as I feel that it will tie in with my ocean theme more.

I may revisit Danny’s work in later briefs as his ‘Them’ collection will fit in well.