David Shale

David Shale is a photographer of real deep sea creatures. For nearly 40 years he has been taking photos of them for scientific research and TV nature programs. Even though the creatures are from the deep sea, the majority of his photos have actually been taken on the surface. They bring the creatures up using nets and then this allowed him to take some photos before they vanish again. Recently, he has been using a Remote Operating Vehicle to take the photos instead though.
I felt that before I attempt to take photos of fake deep sea creatures, I should look at some real ones first for some inspiration. I am also hoping that I might be able to recreate some of the creatures he finds using objects I find.

Here are some of his photos that I specifically like:
133ridge_rdax_800x535
This basketstar jellyfish ties in with my lampshade idea- if I could find a lampshade with a lot of dangly bits and light it from underneath then I could try and create a creature like this.

070823_seacreatures_hmed_11a.grid-6x2

These seed shrimp look like egg yolks with something over the top. This might be quite a messy one to create but may potentially look good.

it-came-from-the-deep-david-shale-captures-the-beauty-and-terror-of-deep-sea-creatures-3

This batfish makes me think of those squishy translucent balls with flashing lights in the middle that children play with. If I could fine one of these balls, especially if it has a knobbly texture, and perhaps light it from the front and have the light on in the middle, then this could work well.

Polynoid polychaete

This looks like one of those dusters you use that has all the microfibre bits sticking off it. There are even particles around it that could be dust. This is definitely a potential.

pph0614_na_007

This is a brittle starfish that was found in coral. I love how it looks more like a plant or plant roots and how bright it is. I have no idea how I could create a creature that looks like this unless I used something like rope.