Andrew Weekes

In terms of portraiture, I really like the gritty, grainy, dirty looking black and white photos. After talking to someone on the graphic design course at Lincoln, they told me about a photographer called Andrew Weekes who takes beautiful portraits of often very famous people.

Since typing this first paragraph and saving it, Andrew came in and did a workshop with our class. His story of photography from war to schools is amazing and here are some of his portraits from his black and white series that I like the most:

Screen Shot 2015-11-15 at 17.41.17

Screen Shot 2015-11-15 at 17.41.59

• I love how close and detailed these portraits are
  • You need an interesting face with wrinkles or freckles to make photos like this interesting
  • I love the man’s eyes in the photo – they are all bright and full of life
  • The black background works well as a contrast with the face
  • I think Andrew made an S curve to create these

Screen Shot 2015-11-15 at 17.41.36

I like this photo as it is different from the rest. The way Ed is looking into the light seems to be metaphorical with him facing the cameras and light whilst he was the leader for Labour. I also like how you can just make out the back of his head but apart from that, it is just his face and suit that are in the light. It is quite a dark photo, I presume with only one front light used, but it is very interesting and definitely something I will try.