Steve Tyler

When I first saw that we had to create a typology of Lincoln, I was quite excited as they are one of the best types of photography to look at. I also want to revisit typology as I attempted it last year but it did not go particularly well – I took photos of different coloured houses but I did not quite frame them all the same in my photos.

When researching typology, I wanted to find a photographer who creates typologies using things you could find in a town or on a street, as our typology has to be on Lincoln. I found a man called Steve Tyler, a recent graduate, and here are some of his typologies from his collection ‘Typology in Common Places’ that I particularly like:

Book5_1 Screen Shot 2012-11-25 at 17.11.09

I like his comparison between indoor and outdoor lights – lights are something you can find everywhere which is why this is relevant to me as I need to find objects to take photos of in Lincoln. I notice all of his subjects are central in the photo and an amount of blank space around them. The objects are all a similar size in each photo, making the typologies look professional and pleasing to the eye.

His other project, ‘Typologies of Mass Consumption’, is also very successful:

Final Small Edit Copy Cap Final Copy

The sheer amount of can tops and cigarettes make the typologies look amazing! I like how some of the cigarettes are bent and deformed and that he has photographed them in the way that he has found them. The use of a white background in these photos also works well (even though the white varies) as it means the lines of the tops and cigarettes stand out better.

When creating my typology, I need to make sure the objects are central and fill the same amount of space in my photos, just like Steve Tyler has.